Thursday, May 01, 2008

Albacete on Confession.

The first time I heard confession was a couple of weeks after my ordination in 1973, at St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington, D.C., where John F. Kennedy's requiem Mass was celebrated. The penitent was a tourist who had wandered in almost by accident. ''I was on my way to a McDonald's,'' he said, ''but I saw the church and remembered Kennedy's funeral -- then I noticed the little green light in the confessional, so I came in. I'm not really sure of what I want.''

''Well,'' I replied, ''I hope you don't want a Big Mac with French fries, because if so, you have made a great mistake.''

He chuckled, then said: ''Look, Father, it's been a long, long time. I'm going to tell you things you have never heard in confession before.''

''That's not too difficult,'' I said. ''This is my first confession. Anything you say will be a shock to me.'' He started to laugh, hard. Those in line fled to the other confession line.

Read the rest here.

I found it a week or so ago at MOC.